Thursday, May 29, 2008

drawn to a star

in tending to my sheep
i'm drawn to look above
the sky is black and deep
with mysteries to think of

a star so big and bright
burns like a tent on fire
calls me to follow its light
its incredible awe to inspire

serenity overcomes me
knowing everything is alright
i leave my sheep to be free
and start following this sight

it is a cold and crisp night
not a breeze in the air
snow blankets the desert blight
looking up without a care

over dunes across dry beds
the pull is grows stronger still
this massive desert spreads
i don't even feel winter's chill

though walking for countless days
i feel no hunger or crave thirst
distant mountains do raise
as plant life gets dispersed

amazingly i bump into another
but it shouldn't be a surprise
a girl like me who works for her brother
making mince and mutton stew pies

her face i have yet to see
as we both look up at the sky
stopping only to kneel to pray to Thee
never letting it get away from the eye

well past the steep mountains
we grow to a small team
join a caravan of three wisemen
on the same journey it would seem

warm company our souls keep
our journey nears an end
never once stopping to sleep
the star nearly vertically ascend

we enter a quiet little town
and come to a little manger
the star looking straight down
upon this now peaceful ranger

this humble structure glows
like the star ten times its size
out through the timbers it flows
but yet it doesn't harm my eyes

upon entering the building
i feel a great weight lifted from me
it is then that i see him
reveal what will set our souls to be free

i realize that he is our saviour
humbled like us to start life
as told by the scripts of yore
he'll endure the same strife

there is a promise i see in his face
and a trust and of love and grace
that will lead us to a better place
hate and rage gone without a trace

he smiles at me with the grace of God
my soul floats free as its wiped clean
as his grace passing through me like rod
with the energy of heaven, earth and all between

tears come to my eyes full of joy
a serenity passes over like never before
from the gift given to me by this boy
an unexplanable thing you can't ignore

now saddened that i can't return
with a gift of my own to pay homage
a touch from his mother allays my concern
that believing what i see is his wage

bidding farewell i sing the news that our Lord has come to say
eternal happiness is ours if we choose to love God and all others today

without skipping a step
i go back to the place
where i left my sheep
the same steps in the snow did i track
to find them in the same spot still asleep
there i lay me down to rest and dream
of the place i had seen of the future of all men
is blessed where our souls will forever be serene

No comments: