Thursday, May 29, 2008

like leaves on a tree

missing teeth in a smiling face
holes in a beautiful smile
her face to me always gives me a lift
i'm too far gone from that place
but its only for a little while
until I return to God's great gift

she runs around with bouncing curls
like a broken record she asks please
with her arms pumping as fast as they can
faster and faster she twirls
giggling in until she buckles her knees
falling down under the ceiling fan

it saddened me as i would drive away
i had to leave them far behind
i feel like a worthless daddy
knowing that at home i can not stay
but to be a provided He has assigned
to this sad and lonely paddy

but the day is coming very soon
when i'll walk out this door
hop in my truck as happy as can be
i will really crank up the tunes
taking my last intense drive north
not looking back at the huge oak trees

walking in the door i hear their voices
they bicker and rumble like all siblings
a sonic boom comes from across the house
running around the corner my oldest rejoices
wanting to know what her daddy brings
and the youngest one begins to rouse

she runs in and joins her sister in a hug
their daddy's is now finally home
he's there to care and nuture them
i wrap them up in me snug as a bug
its good to be here no longer alone
like a stout tree attached to my stem

No comments: